× Members

Gifted a house and home improvement loan?

More
9 months 1 week ago #286504 by Star2017
A relative has recently inherited a house and as a result will be signing over their current house to me now instead of when they passed away. The house will my home so as long as I declare this to the DWP that should be ok as far as I know? as it's my home and not an asset. I get ESA income related as well as PIP.

Whilst its great news about the house, it is in serious disrepair and has no central heating, will need completely rewiring as well as a new kitchen and bathroom as well as everything else. I read somewhere that if I got a loan to pay for the home improvements then it wouldn't be classed as savings/assets. A)Is this true? and B) does the loan amount have to be under £16k?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286519 by Gary
Hi Star2017

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

You pose an interesting question which is outside the remit of the forum, the answer would depend on a number of factors. We would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk , they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 months 1 week ago #286538 by PatGPT
Replied by PatGPT on topic Gifted a house and home improvement loan?
Hi Star2017,

Congratulations on securing your own home. I must stress though to be very wary of the DWP in regard to a situation like this.

When you write to the DWP make sure you make everything very, very clear. I was involved in a dispute with them over capital when I purchased my place and it took 8 months to resolve.

Do you have any savings? If not, I would strongly encourage you to build up some capital whilst you wait for the decision, just in case the DWP try to pull the rug out from under you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Star2017

More
9 months 1 week ago #286561 by David
Replied by David on topic Gifted a house and home improvement loan?
You will have 6 months to renovate the building prior to moving in before your IB ESA is affected. What you read about the loan for improvements being disregarded applies to Universal Credit and not to Legacy Benefits such as IB ESA. But if you borrowed under £6000 at a time and spent it on renovation before borrowing another amount under £6000 you would evade the capital rule. Here are the ESA regs. that apply ( Schedule 9 Para. 8 )
( also your relative definitely needs to get legal advice as you cannot give a house away without having big HMRC tax implications )
Premises which are to be repaired or altered
The law
52571 Premises which need essential repairs or alterations to make them fit for people to live in them as
the home are disregarded to give time for
1. the repairs or alterations to be done and
2. the people to start living in the premises
if they are going to live in the premises as the home. The period of disregard is 26 weeks or longer if it is
reasonable from the date the person first takes steps to get the premises repaired or altered1
1 ESA Regs, Sch 9, para 8
The premises
52572 The premises must be capable of being a dwelling which can be lived in as the home. The
disregard does not apply to
1. premises which are land even if people say they are making alterations to the land by building a house
on the land to live in as the home and
2. any part of the premises which a person is not going to live in as the home if the DM decides it
2.1 can be sold separately and
2.2 is reasonable for it to be sold separately.
Essential repairs or alterations
52573 Essential repairs or alterations are those which are needed to make the premises fit to live in as
the home by the person or a member of the person's family. For example, if the person is in a wheelchair
and the doorways in the house are not wide enough for the wheelchair to pass through the essential
alterations are the widening of the doorways so the person can move into the premises.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
9 months 1 week ago #286607 by Star2017
Replied by Star2017 on topic Gifted a house and home improvement loan?
Hi, It will be made clear that I have been given the home to live in. There is no purchase or money involved. I will do that though thank you.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286608 by Star2017
Replied by Star2017 on topic Gifted a house and home improvement loan?
Thank you for this useful information. I am currently looking for a solicitor to get the correct information about signing the house over and into my name.

I wasn't aware of the tax issue but I think it would fall under this "Where the property gifted was the donor’s main home, Principal Private Residence relief (PPR) may exempt some or all of the gains from CGT. And if the recipient lives in the property as their main residence, they may also qualify for PPR when they come to sell the property.".

He will be moving out of the property in a few months but it has been his main home since buying it.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.