× Members

PIP appeals

More
9 months 1 week ago #286396 by CFremont
PIP appeals was created by CFremont
This is regarding my partner's PIP application. First time applying and he has scored Daily Living 11 Mobility 10.

We did a MR and have heard back that basically nothing has changed with the points.

They still have scored him zero points on planning and following a journey. My partner will not go out on his own and has to have someone with him at all times, due to his nerves/anxiety/overwhelmed etc. Also he is nervous about having another heart attack( triple by pass and heart attack 18 months ago) if he did go out alone  , so he doesn't.
He only goes to hospital appointments by hospital transport /or GP appointments in a taxi with myself and that really is it at the moment. 

We have not decided on if we will enter an appeal or not yet.Just getting a bit of information gathered in advance

My partner is my carer , it is for mental health reasons and has been for over 25 years now. My partner will be of retirement age in early next year. Also has terminal cancer and other health issues

In the MR letter it stated in part of the summary that Due to the fact HE was a carer and cared for a disabled person for over 35 hours he could basically give care to himself as he does it for another person.

I want to get across that the care he gives to me is for mental health only and he can not go out alone without the support of someone else. I really do believe he fits the descriptors for the Planning and following a journey.

Has anyone else had any dealings with them being a carer for someone and applying for PIP for themselves?

Also anyone had dealings with appealing a MR ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 1 week ago #286417 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic PIP appeals
Hi CFremont

I think I can see a couple of potential issues for the DWP. Please don't think I am in any way being critical - just being Devil's advocate for a moment so you understand the arguments you may have to overcome.

Has your partner been diagnosed with a specific mental health condition? If he has, then it is easier to argue that he needs support when going out. If he hasn't been diagnosed with a specific mental health condition and his anxiety, nervousness and overwhelm stem from his heart condition and subsequent surgery, then you will need to argue slightly differently and talk about any safety issues the importance of having support in case of any incidents. I suspect at the moment, they may be thinking that he's had the surgery and he's making a choice not to go out alone. They are already trying to argue that if your partner offers you mental health support - then either he cannot fulfil his caring duties - in which case his carer's allowance could be at risk - or he does not have the need you say he does.

I had a friend in exactly the same position as you, and they argued that the support they offered as a carer was entirely different from their own mental health problems and subsequent needs. They didn't have to go for an MR, but it was something that came up during the PIP assessment of the carer. They were still awarded enhanced care and mobility. On the other hand, I do know that several members of Benefits & Work have lost their carer's allowance because the DWP said they could not fulfil the carer's role if they were as ill as they described.

You say that your partner can't plan a journey - but you need to make it clear why that is. Planning is separate from actually being able to take the journey. So you'll need to say why he can't do it. I imagine, again, they are going to use the carer's argument.

They are supposed to ring and explain why he was refused the MR. You could always ring and ask them to set up the call because it will make it easier to plan an appeal if you decide to put one in, knowing in detail what they are using to justify their argument.

The majority of claimants who challenge their PIP awards do not win MRs, but the majority win appeals - mainly because Tribunal panels have people with more knowledge of health conditions and are generally more understanding of the impact
Do what feels right for both of you, and if you think you should appeal and have the time and energy to do so - go for it.

BIS.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CFremont

More
9 months 1 week ago #286454 by CFremont
Replied by CFremont on topic PIP appeals
Many thanks for the detailed reply

My partner has been diagnosed with long term depression. He has antidepressants. He can only take certain ones due to his heart condition and age (65). So he has to take a lot less than he used to before his heart attack. So yes he has does have mental health issues. By the way he will be 66 early next year so his Carers Allowance will overlap with his state pension I think.

Thanks for sharing about your friend. It is tricky. My mental health issues fluctuate as is part of the condition BUT it has to be monitored all the time to note for signs of rapid decline. But this is something someone can do without it affecting themselves anyway.

I did the MR (sent more explanations) and as I said the award stayed the same but we never had any contact from them at all. For them to ask any further questions. They just made the MR without any contact with him at all. And made a brief summary and that caring for someone statement was amongst it.

Do you know also with the appeal is it 28 days from the MR letter or a calender month. For example it was 6th Dec they decided on the MR letter, so would it be 6th Jan or 28 days from 6th Dec

Thanks again for the information. Much appreciated

More
9 months 1 week ago #286455 by CFremont
Thanks again

More
9 months 1 week ago #286467 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic PIP appeals
Hi CFremont

Usually you appeal with one month, I have on numerous occasions made out of time appeal, in which case you have up to 13 months, the latest I have put one in in is 12.5 months, we did have a very good reason.

I have not yet had an out of time appeal turned down, but you do need a good cause such as waiting for a report, mental health is another I frequently use as I deal with a lot of mental health clients, waiting for an appointment to see an adviser, that me in my day job, our waiting lists can be quite long at times.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CFremont

More
9 months 1 week ago #286472 by CFremont
Thank you for your reply. So it would be a calendar month I assume rather than 28 days as such, if I want to get in the normal time frame. So 6th Jan ?
(although I appreciate the info on the 13 month timing)

Thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.