× Members

Vehicle Road Tax

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286158 by weymouth321
Vehicle Road Tax was created by weymouth321
Hi,

Earlier this year , I was awarded Standard Rate of Mobility of PiP.

My question is - can one post photo copies of the listed paperwork to DVLA ( as it fails to clarify on the Gov. website ) ?

With Many Thanks , J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #286169 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Vehicle Road Tax
Hi Weymouth

If it's the first time you're claiming for a vehicle, then you do it through the post office. They verify your paperwork. www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

If it's a renewal - the system automatically knows whether you are still eligible.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by BIS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: weymouth321, Matt1291, ivyfox

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286193 by weymouth321
Replied by weymouth321 on topic Vehicle Road Tax
Thank you - when I submitted my paperwork at the post office - the counter assistant told me I’d have to contact DVLA as by scanning the renewal letter : it wouldn’t acknowledge the 50% discount.

So when I tried applying applying on line - entering the long number on the renewal letter - again, it failed to acknowledge the 50% discount.

I have been driving many years , so this isn’t my first car .

What should I try next please ?

Many Thanks, J.

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286196 by Matt1291
Replied by Matt1291 on topic Vehicle Road Tax
Hi,

I have autism/asperger's syndrome and I have two full time carers. I have standard rate mobility and I have been paying road tax in full until now when I became aware that the 50% discount is available. (I thought I would get an enhanced rate award like my friend did but they only gave me 10 points and the PIP process is so stressful and exhausting for me that I didn't press further.)

Thank you kindly to "BIS" for sharing the link www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport with the instructions on it. I'm grateful for your help.

My road tax is due 30th December. Do I realistically have time to be able to apply by post and get the 50% discount? I have not done this before and these processes are enormously stressful for me. I have my carers to help me and they can post it for me. However, I'm worried that if I do this and my paperwork isn't processed in time, that I may get in trouble for not being taxed. I always obey the law strictly (I have autism lol) and I'm scared about potentially not being taxed if they don't process my application in time.

Asking for advice (I know this is not legally binding or anything - it is 100% my own fault whatever the outcome is. Please don't hold back from giving advice over fear of liability if your advice is wrong. I accept full responsibility for whatever actions I take as a result of your advice) - should I apply now for a road tax renewal for my car using the above method that "BIS" very helpfully shared or should I tax my car for 6 months now and wait to have it ready for next time?

My car tax is £200 for one year or £110 for six months. I don't have very much money as I'm on benefits and the cost of living is very hard. I would be grateful for any help or advice.

Sorry if this post is overly formal - it is my first time ever posting on this forum. I have been a member of "benefits and work" for years and the guides really helped me. Would be happy to leave a review or anything I can do to endorse/promote/help this website as they have been a life saver for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: weymouth321

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286197 by Matt1291
Replied by Matt1291 on topic Vehicle Road Tax
Thank you kindly to BIS for sharing the link/guide.

I wrote a long message but it either didn't send or got delted/rejected.

To keep this one short - my road tax is due 30th December. Do I realistically have time to be able to send in for the method for the 50% discount? I'm worried about not being taxed if they take too long to process it

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286204 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Vehicle Road Tax
Hi weymouth321,

I have standard rate PIP and can confirm what you need to do:

You need to send your original PIP award letter, your V10 original form, and a half price cheque including CAR TAX number on the renewal form to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BT. They will then send your documentation (original copies) back to you, whilst they check out your PIP award status. If accepted, they will cash your cheque and it will be sorted, however because of the delays in processing times of 3 to 5 weeks, you're likely to miss the deadline and have to do what I did - Pay the full amount online, then send everything as mentioned above (without the cheque) and ask for a refund of half the amount you've paid because of the delay. I did get my refund cheque in about 2 weeks though, so that wasn't too bad a wait time.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid