× Members

Showering: can’t at home (ocd) but can at gym

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286070 by Mitch
Hi all,
I have OCD/OCPD and can’t shower at home and haven’t for 4 months. However, I can shower at the gym and that’s where I have to go to shower.
How do you think the PIP assessors will see this?
Thank you for your insights!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286085 by Gary
Hi Mitch

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

I am not sure what your question is, I assume you are talking about activity 4, Washing and Bathing.

The question states can wash and bathe unaided, it does not state where you wash or bathe.

Have a read through our guides, benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Painter84

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286088 by Gordon
M

Perhaps you should concentrate on the reasons why you can't do this at home.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, Painter84

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #286099 by M1bbw
I personally wouldn’t mention showering at the gym. Just state why you can not shower at home. The effects and consequences of those to your day to day living

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286373 by Mitch
Thanks Gordon.
My argument is that having to drive to the gym and back (40 minutes in total) does not count as being able to shower within a reasonable time because of all the travelling that involved. What are your thoughts on this?

More
9 months 2 weeks ago #286384 by Mitch
Hi Gordon,

Question for you…

I am unable to shower/bathe at home due to OCPD. However,
I can shower at a friend’s house or the gym. Showering at home causes panic attacks but it’s fine outside the home. However, this means I have to travel a long way each day just to wash! Is this considered able to wash? Is this ‘reliable’? I personally don’t think so as the travelling is so time consuming! Plus if I can’t travel for any reason, I’m screwed and have to use a flannel.

I understand I need to concentrate on the effects showing at home has on me, but I need to have an answer ready for when the assessor asks me how I do wash if I don’t at home. I imagine they’ll think that if I can do it elsewhere, then that’s fine and not a problem.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.