× Members

UC or ESA

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285896 by sonnyboyo
UC or ESA was created by sonnyboyo
Hi, I am long term 32 years on disability benefits however 4 years ago my wife left and my 3 children stayed with me. I was receiving PIP and Contributory ESA So I had to claim child benefit and universal credit. The amount of UC I am entitled to has the total amount of contributory ESA deducted from it each month. My question is should I continue to claim ESA or cancel my claim and get universal credit. What are the advantages and disadvantages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285906 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic UC or ESA
Hi sonnyboyo

CB ESA will be deducted from your UC £ for £ but it is paid fortnightly, some claimants state that it helps them to budget better as UC is paid monthly, it also pays class 1 NI contributions.

If your circumstances changes, i.e, win the lottery, get an inheritance then your UC may stop but your CB ESA would carry on.

I don't see any disadvantages apart from having to undergo re-assessments but then you also get that on UC if you are placed in the LCWRA group.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid