× Members

Mental health and physical element of the uc50 questionnaire

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285888 by M1bbw
My daughter suffers with learning disabilities, anxiety and depression. I am currently filling in her uc50 form. She has received the enhanced rate of PIP with an ongoing award from the age of 16 with one review where she was re awarded it at this rate, (she is now 26) My concern is that her moving around element of pip is based on her mental ability to process dangers and extreme anxiety, when the uc50 physical portion of the claim could potentially effect her current pip claim if I say she has no physical disabilities. However, her mental health causes physical symptoms such as hyperventilating, heart palpitations, dizziness, nausea vomiting and diarrhoea among others. Her learning disability causes her to panic and be hysterical which can be deemed as socially unacceptable behaviour for a grown woman. With this in mind Would I say not applicable next to the yes, no and it varies boxes .. not tick any and explain how her anxiety effects her physically and this is why she can’t reliably, safely and repeatedly perform the physical elements?
Any advice would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 months 3 weeks ago #285893 by Gordon
M

There are two PIP activities for Mobility

- Moving Around. This looks at the physical limitations that the claimant has in regard to standing and moving.

- Planning and Following a Journey. This considers the mental issues that would affect a claimant's abilities to plan a route, leave their house and follow a route.

Your daughter cannot have scored for Moving Around if her difficulties are due to her mental health problems but could have scored for Planning, etc.. a route.

In a similar vein, the WCA separates physical and mental health conditions, activities 1-10 are for physical and 11-17 are for mental health issues.

So, there would be no conflict when you complete the UC50 for her.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: M1bbw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid