× Members

Help understanding UC and carers protection

More
10 months 3 days ago #285734 by scardycat
Background - Currnetly on notice to migrate from legagcy benefit onto UC and claiming Carer's Allowance for care I provide to daughter who has HRC/HRM (aged nearly 15 imminent). Partner been told me work hours going to half next month or in January so will only have paid work for 15 hours. Partner saying they are not going to look for further work, we will be a joint claim for benefits.

I have offer of 15 hours work, it will take me over earning threshold for Carer's Allowance by £60 a week (not sure I will be able to offset costs to come under the £139 threshold a week as unsure how much I can pay into a pension.

Are we still able to claim UC with both of us only working 30 hours between us and a disabled child, or is that not enough hours on UC? I need protection in being able to continue care for my daughter, so not forced to work full time. Do you have to be in receipt of Carers Allowance for that protection or can you just say you care for 35 hours a week and somehow retain the lead carer role?

Help please as have to feedback tomorrow if I am able to accept the work offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 days ago #285736 by Gary
Hi scardycat

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

You do not have to be claiming Carrs Allowance to get the Carer Element with UC, as your daughter receives High Care, you would also be eligible to claim High Disabled Child Element, you would also be eligible to claim the Work Allowance.

If you claim the Carer element then you should not have to look for work, but it would depend which conditionality group your workcoach places you in.

There are 4 conditionality groups:

* Group 1. No work related requirements
* Group 2. Work-focused interview requirement
* Group 3. Work preparation requirement
* Group 4. All work-related requirements

www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Claimant-commitment-Universal-Credit

You can check your benefit entitlements by using an online benefit calculator; gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid