× Members

My age and DLA

More
10 months 1 week ago #285577 by Hilly
My age and DLA was created by Hilly
I hope someone will be able to help me sort this issue out. I am64 and will be 65 in January next year. I had lung cancer, and was unlucky because they had to take away my whole left lung. This was in 2012. I applied for DLA / PIP and was given mobility at the highest rate. I have subsequently have COPD emphysema in the remaining lung. I now have been treated for rheumatoid arthritis,Osteoarthritis, brittle bones, Osteoporosis and my most recent Dexa scan shows that the Osteoporosis in both hips are now extremely unsafe according to the nurse who did the scan. My question is this: I have never been called for PIP, despite the fact that I have rung them around my birthday every January to ask what I should do. Someone has told me that there currently a pause for people due to not having enough staff. Someone else told me that if I don’t contact them now before my 65th birthday that I would likely have the mobility removed from me. I can’t leave the house alone, and the local council have filled for me a wet room removing the bath, and putting the the loo. Shower, and sink in different places in the bathroom.
Do I have to contact DWP to ask for a claim before my 65 birthday. I’ve heard so many people giving me their advice but now I’m unable totally confused. Suggestions please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285601 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My age and DLA
Hi Hilly

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

The age of 65 used to be the state age for retirement, this no longer applies, retirement age is now 66 going up to 67 and then 68.

When you reach state pension age your mobility component of DLA will not stop it will carry on, you will at some stage in the future be re-assessed for PIP but not yet. The Government have paused asking DLA claimants to apply for PIP for the time being.

You do not need to contact anyone, DWP will contact you when they are ready. My suggestion to you is relax, have one or two bailey's, you have enough going on without the additional worry of claiming PIP.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 1 week ago #285616 by Hilly
Replied by Hilly on topic My age and DLA
Hi Gary
Thank you so much for your message. I really appreciate it. It’s just that there have been various suggestions in the last few weeks about the pause, or no pause. I’ve found it very difficult to work out who to believe in the last few weeks and just felt overwhelmed with it all. My award was set as “ indefinite “.
I’ve sent my husband to the shop to get 4 1 litre bottles of baileys.!!!
Not really. It’s hot , thick espresso for me until at least 11.00am !!

More
10 months 1 week ago #285632 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic My age and DLA
Hi Hilly

You are welcome, With PIP there is no such thing as indefinite, they now have "light touch" review's, the descriptors for PIP are also different than DLA, but do not worry about it for the time being. When you get your letter asking you to apply for PIP, contact us.

For me it is a Cappuccino .... cheers and have a good Christmas.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid