× Members

DLA indefinite mobility award being lost in the transfer to pip

More
10 months 1 week ago #285574 by BOU
Sadly, My mum has just died and my dad thought he had eligibility to mobility and a car after her death under his health award DLA and changed to pip.

looking through his letter, his DLA stated it was higher rate mobility for an indefinite award.

Unfortunately when he got his pip letter, he didn’t know to check if there was any difference in his award. He assumed it would be the same.

Have you ever come across a DLA indefinite mobility award being lost in the transfer to pip?

Unfortunately it was a few years ago now. But to just drop off from higher mobility to nothing mobility, amazes me, especially as dad has continued to get worse as he’s gotten older. He’s now 73.
We will be checking with the CAB but I remembered you might have come across this before

Many thanks
Angela
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285583 by BIS
Hi BOU

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother.

Unfortunately, having an indefinite award only applies to DLA, and they don't even exist under PIP. Although there are some overlaps between DLA and PIP there are some significant differences and PIP is deemed harder to get and so many people have been disappointed in what they have been awarded when moving from DLA to PIP. Higher rate in DLA is not equivalent to enhanced rate PIP. It is surprising he scored nothing - but he certainly won't be the only one that has happened to.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure from your post when your Dad changed from DLA to PIP, but if it was in the last 13 months he can still try and challenge the decision.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid