× Members

Reviewing my personal statement

More
10 months 1 week ago #285507 by Chris
Reviewing my personal statement was created by Chris
Hi All,

Well after Hunt's statement, and the impacts it's going to have on people with disabilities, I have decided to update my personal statement, just to pre-warn employers what they're likely to get. I have started it as follows, and I am likely to add to it, as I go along, then that way, I feel like I'm covering myself should any instances occur further down the line.

Do people think this is a good idea, or a bad one?

Whilst I have worked on and off for over 20 years (always in a small team or alone), and I have always found myself to be honest, reliable, hard-working and nearly always punctual – after the recent chancellors statement, and those who are disabled now being forced to find work or risk losing their benefits – I genuinely want to let employers know what they're likely to be getting with me:-

I struggle with low mood and depression on virtually a daily basis due to past and present issues, which can often include me even struggling to get out of bed, never mind face people.
I suffer impromptu moods and outbursts of anger based on the way I'm spoken to by people at times, depending on what they say. I struggle to control these outbursts, and have often had warnings in previous employment because of this.
I suffer with chronic pain on a daily basis, which does leave me bed ridden, and at times unable to move due to the pain this causes, even with my pain relief medication.
I suffer from social and travel anxiety, meaning unless I am accompanied by someone familiar, I simply cannot face using public transport, due to the amount of people. It causes me to have panic attacks, sweats and shakes, which is a health and safety risk to others.
I have had therapy, anger management and support for over 30 years on and off, and I am unable to implement their coping mechanisms, leaving me volatile, and endangering others.
I struggle badly to mix with people, and can often take what they say in the wrong context, once again causing outbursts of anger and/or tears.

So, the question is, will you take a risk on me, and possibly risk others health?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285508 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Reviewing my personal statement
Chris

Just to clarify.

Nobody, today, is going to be asked to seek work if they have an award of sickness benefit such as ESA or UC.

Any change will require amendments to the WCA Descriptors and quite possibly primary legislation and has been commented on frequently, there may not be time before the next election for these changes to be made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Donna2512, Chris

More
10 months 1 week ago #285518 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Reviewing my personal statement
Hi Gordon,

I am in LCW group in UC, rather than LCWRA - I just took it as, from what I heard, it's starting January 2nd, and you have 6 months to find something or your benefits will be stopped. So, this isn't the case ?
I wish my stupid brain would understand things better. I will look into primary legislation, as I've never heard of that before.

Thank you,

Regards, Chris.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid