× Members

Universal Credit - Report new condition on the portal, do I have to?

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago #285500 by Anxious Anonymous
Hello, I'm concerned.

I know with PIP and ESA, you don't have to report a change of condition but for universal credit, my work coach claims that I should report my ASD and ADHD diagnosis?

Is this true?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285511 by Gordon
AA

I need to correct your statement that "with PIP and ESA, you don't have to report a change of condition", this is not true.

Any improvement which could reasonably cause a change of award needs to be reported to the DWP within 30 days, this includes PIP and ESA as well as UC.

Whilst we cannot tell you that a deterioration does not need to be reported for any of the three benefits, it is unlikely that the DWP will be bothered if you do not report such a Change. Not doing so will mean that the claimant will lose any right to the backdating of any higher award made at the next assessment, so it needs to be a considered decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Anxious Anonymous
  • Topic Author
More
10 months 1 week ago #285517 by Anxious Anonymous
Hi Gordon,

I've realised what I wrote wasn't worded correctly because I was in such a rush!!!

So, it isn't a change of condition. It's a new condition, sorry. So if I'm diagnosed with ASD/ADHD etc do I need to tell ESA/PIP/UC?

My work coach seems to claim that any new diagnosis should be reported via the Universal Credit portal.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285541 by Gordon
AA

I think we have had this conversation before.

ASD and ADHD are lifelong conditions, so you are not suffering from them as new you just have a diagnosis that confirms them, so you do not need to report them unless you think that your current award is lower because the effects of these conditions were not properly taken into account when you were last assessed and a formal diagnosis might mean that you meet the criteria for a higher award.

Be aware, reporting a Change will almost certainly result in a full reassessment of the affected benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid