× Members

PIP (post-telephone assessment) feelings/ questions

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #285340 by jamesredbox
Thankyou to those who responded to my previous post about the telephone assessment for PIP.

Well, I had it, they rang on time and it last 2 hours. I'm in my 40s and the assessor seemed to be a fair bit younger which I am a bit worried about. Here are my other worries -

- The assessment lasted two hours but the way in which everything was asked, asked again, it did not fill me with confidence. I had a face-to-face assessment in 2017 and it must have lasted 45 mins max.

- My current PIP award is daily living enhanced - mobility standard - at the end of the call I said I feel very worried about the benefit being reduced at all but he did not offer any reassurance.

- We went through all of the sections in the PIP review (and main) form, then some more asking how long it would take you to walk three bus lengths, have you had suicidal thoughts (I answered yes to that and offered more thoughts), would you be able to make a train journey - my response to that was I need supervision but it worries me how I might have phrased it, using perhaps the wrong words. I covered that journey question in the PIP review form so I don't know why they don't refer to it directly during the assessment - it seems too loose, to me.

- I prepared very well, I knew what I had to update with them since sending the PIP review last January, but the prolonged nature of all of this and the sheer length of this assessment has left me reeling. Overall, despite having a 2 hour assessment on the phone, arranging for it to be recorded (which I downloaded that day) and having a whole set of notes based on bullet points about recent changes involving medication, having a cleaner and so forth, I still feel insecure and I honestly am not sure why. I'm not sure if the way in which the pandemic has impacted on us all has just made me feel even more anxious and selfishly obsessed than ever. I know there is more to life than being anxious about a PIP review/ telephone assessment but its difficult nonetheless. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom from other people here, any is much appreciated. Best wishes to all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #285354 by denby
Jamesredbox I just want to send you an e-hug, if that's OK. Sheer exhaustion from the effort of preparing then enduring two hours [perhaps because they failed to 'catch you out' so kept on trying?] - will make you feel down and doubtful, anxious. I hope you can get a few good nights' sleep, be kind to yourself, and feel less anxious.
Call for the PA4 after 48 hours [or if you get a text sooner saying the report has been received], and compare the report with your recording.
If it is a bad match, then avoid nitpicking or saying they lied, even if they did lie. Write ASAP to 'The Decision Maker' at the last address they wrote from, correcting point-losing errors in cool language. Mention this is not, not, an MR request, but that you reserve the right to submit an MR later should you so wish.
Best wishes,
Denby
The following user(s) said Thank You: pollenpath, KABTT , jamesredbox, Gary

More
10 months 2 weeks ago #285356 by Gary
Hi jamesredbox

Most claimants after an assessment have doubts and the 'what if' I said this or that.

I was speaking to a claimant this week, I had advised him to request the PA4 after his assessment, the assessor had marked him with all a's so we were preparing to do a MR whilst waiting for the decision letter to arrive, when he received a text message informing him his application had been successful, he now has to wait for the decision letter to see what he was awarded and from when.

I would say to you, contact DWP after 48 hrs and ask for a copy of the assessors report called a PA4, the report will give you an indication as to what you may be awarded or not.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , jamesredbox

More
10 months 1 week ago #285396 by jamesredbox
Replied by jamesredbox on topic PIP (post-telephone assessment) feelings/ questions

Jamesredbox I just want to send you an e-hug, if that's OK. Sheer exhaustion from the effort of preparing then enduring two hours [perhaps because they failed to 'catch you out' so kept on trying?] - will make you feel down and doubtful, anxious. I hope you can get a few good nights' sleep, be kind to yourself, and feel less anxious. Call for the PA4 after 48 hours [or if you get a text sooner saying the report has been received], and compare the report with your recording. If it is a bad match, then avoid nitpicking or saying they lied, even if they did lie. Write ASAP to 'The Decision Maker' at the last address they wrote from, correcting point-losing errors in cool language. Mention this is not, not, an MR request, but that you reserve the right to submit an MR later should you so wish. Best wishes, Denby

Thanks a lot Denby. By the way, Denby is a village near me.

It will be a week since the telephone assessment tomorrow, should I still request a PA4? I had thought I would just wait until I get a letter and try not to think about it.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285397 by jamesredbox
Replied by jamesredbox on topic PIP (post-telephone assessment) feelings/ questions

Hi jamesredbox Most claimants after an assessment have doubts and the 'what if' I said this or that. I was speaking to a claimant this week, I had advised him to request the PA4 after his assessment, the assessor had marked him with all a's so we were preparing to do a MR whilst waiting for the decision letter to arrive, when he received a text message informing him his application had been successful, he now has to wait for the decision letter to see what he was awarded and from when. I would say to you, contact DWP after 48 hrs and ask for a copy of the assessors report called a PA4, the report will give you an indication as to what you may be awarded or not. Gary

Thankyou for your advice Gary. Would it benefit me to ask for a PA4 tomorrow, a week after the assessment. As I said in my previous reply to Denby, I had just thought I'd relax and wait for a letter. So I ring the DWP PIP number for that?

Regarding the PA4 my only fear is that it will escalate my paranoia and in the end make me feel worse.

More
10 months 1 week ago #285401 by Chris
Hi jamesredbox,

If its 2 days or more, then you'll be able to ask for your PA4 - although from my experience, some of them don't know what it is, so if they don't, just say the assessors report. You do ring the DWP helpline for that, but be prepared for a long wait. It's often in excess of 40 minutes I find, so you may be better putting your phone on loudspeaker, and tolerating the awful music for a while.

Regards, Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid