× Members

DWP and Bank Accounts

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285010 by UC:
DWP and Bank Accounts was created by UC:
Hi,
Can any of the Moderators confirm if the DWP are instructing Banks, from today, to check the accounts of claimants once every month and report back?

If so, what information are the DWP hoping to obtain?

All a bit sinister to me, and surely in breach of Data Protection?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285035 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic DWP and Bank Accounts
Hi UC

Not heard of it myself, but would not be surprised as everything is digital and they already have access to many data bases.

As they say cash is king.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby, KABTT

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285043 by UC:
Replied by UC: on topic DWP and Bank Accounts
Thanks Gary,
A lot of social media posts circulating today about DWP accessing claimants Bank accounts to establish what they are spending their money on!

Maybe just scaremongering, but just reinforces the importance of fighting to save cash!

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285050 by Ken1
Replied by Ken1 on topic DWP and Bank Accounts
I believe what you describe is not happening immediately as it requires a change of law - which is reportedly included in the government's Autumn Statement. There's probably a lot of other depressing stuff coming too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285052 by Chocolady
Replied by Chocolady on topic DWP and Bank Accounts
Yes I read this and they are looking for more legal powers. I can understand checking peoples accounts if there is suspicion of fraud but just randomly trawling through peoples private accounts is absolutely appalling. Feels like we living in communist china. How can they get away with this with privacy laws? Those thinking this is a great thing want to realise if they do this with claimants they will do this with everyone. As Gary says if you can use cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285054 by Mr B
Replied by Mr B on topic DWP and Bank Accounts
Hi UC

Not sure if you've seen it yet but there is a recent B&W news article which amongst other things mentions bank accounts. From my reading of this it is something that the Government is currently considering but no decision to actually implement it has yet been made. Some media reports on this are - as usual - somewhat misleading! For the B&W article please click

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/dwp-consi...laimants-spend-money

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Mr B
The following user(s) said Thank You: UC:, Chris

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid