× Members

Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP?

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285008 by Chocolady
Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP? was created by Chocolady
Just seen in the press something about anyone receiving benefits having their bank accounts checked monthly for « fraud ». This is worrying on many levels for privacy and other issues. Apparently they've asked a mere 2000 people and 62 per cent think this is fine so its all go in the Autumn statement. How can they get away with this? Its very intrusive and I thought there were strict rules around this type of thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285031 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP?
Hi Chocolady

The DWP have access to most records, such as savings and pensions.

Local authorities have for many years been doing verification , for claimants applying for housing and council tax benefit.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285037 by Ken1
Replied by Ken1 on topic Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP?
I assume the DWP doesn't currently have permission to check bank records of existing claimants without already having certain evidence - hence the proposed new policy for the banks to clue them in. Is that right? Otherwise what's the point?

People will say there's nothing to worry about if you haven't done anything wrong. But it clearly would be grossly intrusive in any case.

I'm new to the forum and submitted a question about being asked for bank statements after declaring capital. I look forward to it being published and any replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chocolady

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285045 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP?
Hi Ken1

I am not sure about bank records, but everything is electronic so nothing would surprise me.

I have already answered your post.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285047 by Chocolady
Replied by Chocolady on topic Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP?
This is being obliged by the dwp to do monthly checks on claimants bank accounts so different to checking if they are concerned about fraud. This is like a pre crime situation where they are sweeping peoples accounts for potential fraud. Highly intrusive and unnecessary seeing as there is such little fraud. Perhaps it would be better to do this to MPs accounts as last time they tried to check their accounts they had to close the department doing the checks due to the aggressiveness of the MPs response!
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #285061 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Bank accounts checked monthly by DWP?
Howling at chocoladys response with checking MP's bank accounts - you should stand for parliament :side:
Brilliant answer, I love it.

I totally agree, it's not something I'm overly keen on either. Once every year is fine, but monthly is nuts. It'll be a waste of staffs time.

Chris.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid