× Members

Warm Home Discount

More
11 months 17 hours ago #284925 by Sasha
Warm Home Discount was created by Sasha
I’ve received a letter telling me I will be receiving the Warm Home Discount. This is a puzzle because I am not entitled to it. I claim contributions based ESA and PIP. I do not receive any means tested top ups as I am not entitled to them. In addition, I am not named on any electricity account. I live with my elderly parents and my dad is named on the account. He has a very good employment pension and would not be eligible for this money.

I tried contacting the warm home discount office but they just said that if I’ve received this letter, I must be entitled to it. I received the letter last year too, but just ignored it as I assumed it had been sent in error.

I’ve now discovered that my dad actually received the £150 discount on his account last year. I keep trying to persuade my dad to contact the electricity provider about this situation but he refuses to because he says he doesn’t understand (He is 83). What should I do? I am worried I will get into trouble if I don’t stop these payments. I did NOT receive the cost of living payments that were given to people on means tested benefits so the DWP cannot think I’m on a means tested benefit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 16 hours ago #284926 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Warm Home Discount
Hi Pippa

Your question is outside the remit of the forum.

The criteria for WHD changed last year, claimants who received it in the past, no longer receive it, whilst other claimants such as yourself have been informed they will be entitled to receive it, it could be based on how energy efficient your property is, but I am only guessing.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasha

More
10 months 4 weeks ago #284963 by Sorrel
Replied by Sorrel on topic Warm Home Discount
Either you or your partner's name has to be on the electricity bill to qualify for the Warm Home Discount, so someone's definitely made a mistake. I think the only option is to be persistent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasha

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid