× Members

Pip query advice pls

More
11 months 1 day ago #284913 by Missjmd
Pip query advice pls was created by Missjmd
Hello I am helping my brother to see if he could claim pip . For months he has infected cellulitis on his legs , also he same problem a few years ago on opposite leg . He also has heart problems , requiring weight loss which has had ppl baffled as the weight gain is round his stomach only . He has been diagnosed with Klinefelter Syndrome which is providing some answers to the weight gain etc . As we don’t know much about this syndrome other than he has provided clarity to problems he had when was a toddler etc . Do DwP recognise Klinefelter Syndrome ? Any advice tips or help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 1 day ago #284916 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Pip query advice pls
Hi Missjmd

The DWP is not so interested in the diagnosis itself but in how that condition affects a claimant's daily living and/or mobility as per the specific PIP criteria.

I can almost guarantee that if your brother decides to apply for PIP anyone reading the form will not have heard of Klinefelter Syndrome and you need to submit some additional information (eg NHS website) so they know what it is. I don't know when he was diagnosed - but make it clear that he was born with the life-long condition and it's not something that changes!

What you need to do is go through the Guide to PIP claims and Reviews and look at every single question and show how the symptoms of Klinefelter Syndrome - along with his weight gain and heart problems impact his life. The guide will help you form the type of answers they will be looking for.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
11 months 16 hours ago #284932 by Missjmd
Replied by Missjmd on topic Pip query advice pls
Thank you for your reply .
He is 52 but was diagnosed approx 15 years ago , this came about as both himself ans his wife had varied tests whilst trying for a baby .

He was told “ you have klienfelters that’s the problem “ he was told very little about it .

But his current GP has told him that it can attack immune system so this maybe a possibility why they can’t get his leg to heal .

If I was to put information regarding this in the extra information .and how it links to other health problems and impacts on his life throughout the questions .

Also when it asks about tests etc you may have had , is there an amount of time ? I don’t know how far back to go on those type of questions , along with hospital apps etc

Again thank you so much

More
11 months 16 hours ago #284933 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic Pip query advice pls
Hi Missjmd

Follow BIS's advice, I just did a quick check on google; Klinefelter syndrome, sometimes called Klinefelter's, KS or XXY, is when boys are born with an extra X chromosome. It affects 1 in 500 men and is one of the most common disorders of chromosomes from birth; www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/our-services/klinefelter-syndrome.

As BIS has stated, PIP is not awarded because of the condition but rather the limitations that result and prevent a claimant from completing a range of everyday activities.

As for supporting documents, I would supply the earliest document for the condition and the most recent supporting document for the condition just to show it is ongoing, if you have loads of documents then you can mention it but I don't see why you would want to send it in unless they show that your condition is worsening over time.

PIP do not want to see appointment letters as they do not show a diagnosis, what they do want to see is the report letter that is sent to your doctor after your appointment, I would advise always to ask for a copy of the letter to be sent to you.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid