× Members

WTC at present Cancer diagnosis op upcoming what to do

More
11 months 5 days ago #284829 by Lic
Hi, Sorry very confused about everything at the moment, head's a muddle and I'm not processing things well at all. I had a cancer diagnosis 2-3 weeks ago and am to have a major operation at the end of November. It is hoped this will remove all the cancer and that no further treatment will be necessary but tests will be needed on tissue removed during the op to find out if this is the case.

I am currently £0 income self employed claiming WTC and received the leaflet notifying me that I will be sent a letter a some point advising me to transfer to UC. I claim the disability element of WTC for depression, anxiety and have chronic migraine (more than 15 days of migraine with headache a month).

My NI contributions are up to their maximum for my state pension contributions but I haven't paid contributions voluntarily in the last year or two.

I am told that after my op I won't be able to work for 6 weeks.

At what point do I need to tell DWP and what impact will it have on my income?

Will I have to go 5 weeks without any income at that point?

Will I go straight onto UC?

I live alone and I am worried sick.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 4 days ago #284839 by Gary
Hi Lic

I am sorry to hear of your situation, it must be playing on your mind, not only the diagnose but also the financial worry.

You need to contact Macmillan Cancer Support on 0808 808 0000 or email them; www.macmillan.org.uk/forms/contact-us/ask-macmillan-form.html

If you are not able to contact Macmillian then try your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk , one of the questions they may ask is the prognosis, which is always a difficult question.

If you have not paid any National Insurance in the last two years then you will not qualify for New Style ESA; www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment...llowance#eligibility but you maybe able to apply for Universal Credit and PIP

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid