× Members

After an appeal is lost

More
11 months 6 days ago #284766 by Madteacher57
After an appeal is lost was created by Madteacher57
Last week I joined my niece at her appeal for PIP. They came straight back as the appeal we made was in December 22 and all her conditions which have been exacerbated further began in January 2023 and although they were very understanding I guessed the result would be no. As we originally submitted her initial request in August 22 when can we start all over again. Or do we have to?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 6 days ago #284768 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic After an appeal is lost
Hi Madteacher57

I'm sorry your neice lost her appeal, but as I am sure they explained they have to determine whether the DWP made the decision at the time she had her assessment and evidence of further deterioration will not be considered.

You didn't say whether your daughter was originally awarded anything when you put in for the claim. If she was awarded zero points then you need to put in for a new claim. You can do this now.

Have a look at our guide to PIP claims and reviews and make sure that you understand what they are looking for. It isn't enough that her condition has deteriorated. The DWP does not focus on particular medical conditions. They want to know how the condition/s affect the daily living and mobility of a claimant to the specific PIP criteria.

The other thing you need to understand is that the person reading the form may not have any knowledge of a particular condition, and they don't know the impact on the claimant. Too often claimants say "I thought they would know or understand" and then are sorely disappointed when the assessor doesn't. I'm not saying you made that mistake in your initial claim, but something went wrong for her to be denied in the first place, and you want to do as much as you can to ensure your niece isn't disappointed again.

If I was wrong and your niece was originally awarded something, she can put in for a change of circumstances in which case they will review her and she can submit new information.

Come back at any time if you have any questions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid