× Members

Contributory ESA- Armed Forces Medical Pension

More
11 months 1 week ago #284752 by RGPIP
Hello, I was medically discharged from the military in 2022, and initial awarded a tier 1 pension, this has recently been reviewed and I have now been awarded a Tier 2 Medical pension that is going to be back dated to my discharge in 2022. Since leaving I have claimed contributory ESA, and been placed in the support group. I only really wanted the ESA to build up my NI credits.

Now that my pension has been re-assessed, and awarded a higher pension which is backdated, can ESA claim back the payments from when I started the claim, as my pension has now increased? Or do they just take it from when I inform them my income has changed, they have been a nightmare with not understanding how my pension works, and keep changing my tax code.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 6 days ago #284777 by Gary
Hi RGPIP

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then a lump sum will not affect your ESA but a regular payment will. If the pension is more then £85/week then there will be a £1/week deduction for every £2 in excess of the £85.

I would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation, they will be able to take all your circumstances into consideration; advicelocal.uk .

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid