× Members

Pip assesment

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284471 by Mel
Pip assesment was created by Mel
Why do dwp not see autism as a long term illness.My son who is 26 yrs old has had it since birth.Its not something that gets better or goes away.
I have to do the review for him more or less every two years nothing ever changes. I don’t understand why we are put through this.
The review is stressful for him, and for myself.Got awarded enhanced rate care last time after requesting an MR. God only knows what will happen this time.I was told we would have a decision between four and eight weeks. I recorded the call just for back up as I know that some assessors don’t always tell the truth. The nurse I spoke to was fine with that.Just feel deflated as when your doing an assessment on someones else's behalf its hard to actually know exactly how they feel. My son has severe expressive and receptive communication difficulties so finds it hard communicating with everybody, myself included.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284481 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Pip assesment
Hi Mel

Another member asked an almost identical question to yours. The fact is that many health professionals have little understanding or experience of people with autism. I hope that you don't have to put in for an MR this time, but if you do explain once again that it is a lifelong condition, explain the strain that it puts on you both and ask for an ongoing award. They may not grant it, but you have nothing to lose by asking.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, Chocolady

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #284516 by Donna2512
Replied by Donna2512 on topic Pip assesment
Hi Mel autistic son now has an ongoing award. On the form I repeatedly wrote autism is a lifelong disability, son has made no developmental gains in the last fifteen years and so is unlikely to make them going forward. No idea whether it made a difference but it was worth a try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, Sheila 966, Mel

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid